Welcome to the Signal Hill Elementary's Kindergarten Page!
Please click on the top "Class Pages" link (under the Signal Hill banner) to access individual teacher webpages.
-We will be assessing students every quarter on their Level A, B, C, and D Popcorn Word Wall Words! Please practice at home!
-As part of the school's healthy initiative, we encourage birthday treats such as pencils, erasers, stickers, etc.
-Please pack a snack separate from your child's lunch (we are a nut-free classroom).
-If your child is going to go home any way other than is defaulted on his/her emergency card, please fill out a change of dismissal form found on the school website.
Here is a list of expectations for the first half of Kindergarten.
Reading and Writing:
- students should be on a DRA Level 2
- Students should know almost all letters and letter sounds.
- Students should be able to use a variety of learned strategies to decode unknown words such as stretching the word, looking for picture clues, asking if the sentence makes sense, seeing if the sentence and picture match, and cross-checking the picture with the first letter of the unknown word.
- Students should be able to spell words phonetically.
- Students should begin spelling sight words (word wall words) correctly: a, can, see, the, and, to, like, look, said, come, here, at, for, go, no, on, I, in, is, it, he, me, my, play, we.
- Students should be able to label illustrations and begin to write 1-2 sentences (phonetically).
- Students should begin a sentence with a capital letter, finger spaces, and punctuation.
- Students should be able to write first name correctly, preferably last name also.
- Students should be able to count to at least 50, at best 100.
- Students should be able to identify numbers at least 0-10, at best 0-15.
- Students should be able to identify 4 basic shapes.
- Students should be able to identify a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter.
- Students should be able to identify all colors.
- Students should be able to identify patterns (AB, AAB, ABB, AABB).
- Students should be able to create and extend patterns (AB, AAB, ABB, AABB).
** Activities In Case Of School Closing ***
1. Have mom or dad read a story: who is the author?
who is the illustrator?
name a character
where did the story take place?
2. Draw a picture and write a sentence about it. Parents, help sound it out. Remember spacing. Example: I see a dog. I like to play ball.
3. If you have a pet, draw a picture of of he/she and what they like to do. If you do not have a pet, pretend you do! Example: He likes to .....
4. Take the "A" Star Word List and choose 5 to 'Rainbow Write'.
5. Choose a book from your library at home. Read it with a grown-up and then draw a picture of the characters in a setting from the story.
6. Look for words around your house. Use magazines, cook books, etc. Practice writing words that you know from these.
ABC Order http://www.learningplanet.com/act/abcorder.html
Alphabet Chart http://literacyhour.co.uk/kids/alph_char2.html
Animated ABC http://www.enfagrow.com/language008.html
Haunted Alphabet http://funschool.com
Alphabet Action http://learningplanet.com/act/fl/aact/aact.html
Hidden Letters http://sesameworkshop.org/sesamestreet
1. Using cans in the pantry at home, take them out and count them. Sort them according to what is in them, the sizes of the cans, brand, or whatever you can think of.
2. Keep track of each day's weather. Make a list of different types of weather and tally or graph what each day's weather is like.
3. Using a deck of cards, with just the numbers. Play 'More or Less' with mom, dad, or a bigger sibling. Directions: Deal the cards between the two people evenly. Each person turns over a card. The one with the higher number says, "More." The other person says, "Less." The person with More takes the cards. First person with all the cards wins!
4. Design a new bedspread with a pattern. Draw a picture of your new bed and the colorful pattern.
5. Count beans into 3 groups of ten and count 10, 20, 30...
6. Put some things in a jar and guess how many (estimate). Take 3 guesses. See which was the closest.